Services & Products

Motor Insurance Goods/Freight Liability Insurance Marine Cargo Insurance Commercial Property Insurance Legal Liabilities Insurance

Motor Insurance

HGV / Fleet Insurance

The minimum requirement under the Road Traffic Acts is Third Party. However, we would recommend Comprehensive cover which would normally include (subject to certain terms conditions & policy excesses)

  1. Damage to your own vehicle
  2. Theft
  3. Fire
  4. Malicious Damage
  5. Windscreen Cover
  6. Third Party Property Damage

Where you are carrying third party goods for Hire & Reward you must ensure the USE of the vehicle covers you for Hire & Reward and you must have the appropriate operator's license. Drivers - Whilst you can opt for any driver which provides greater flexibility, if you are able to work on a named driver basis, this normally proves to be more cost effective. Do not assume that all policies are equal! For example, with regard to the trailer cover, some policies may not give full detached cover; some policies provide more limited cover for hired or borrowed trailers. For hired trailers you are probably liable to continue paying hire all the time a trailer is off the road awaiting repair following an accident. The cost to you is not covered under the motor policy, but there are other ways of providing you with cover in this respect. Premium: Normally operators running up to 5 vehicles will be underwritten on a 'no claims bonus' basis with each vehicle earning its own discount. Fleets premiums will be based on the overall if claims experience.

Goods/Freight Liability Insurance

It is important to understand that you can still be held liable if your insurance policy fails to pay

If you are contracting to carry, or arrange storage for, other people's goods, it is essential that the correct insurance is arranged to fully protect you in the event of a claim. The extent of your financial responsibility in most cases will depend on the terms and conditions, if any, under which you trade, and which have been adequately agreed with your customer before accepting the goods. This can be a complex area, particularly if sub-contractors are involved in the chain. If you are involved with a number of different contracts, your customers' requirements may vary widely, and the standard limits of liability may be increased by mutual agreement. If you are involved in the international carriage of goods by road, your liability will be governed by statute in accordance with the CMR Convention. Movements by air & sea are governed by international conventions. If you are the sub-contracted haulier you will need to ensure your insurance cover reflects the trading conditions used by your principal. We are always happy to talk directly to your principals to ensure the correct trading conditions are in place and therefore avoid problems in the event of a claim. All insurance policies incorporate standard restrictions and financial limitations on certain types of goods, or goods that are totally excluded under the policy. Ignorance is bliss, but it can also lead to financial disaster if a large claim occurs and you find you have fallen foul of specific policy conditions. However, if you have a need for wider cover to be provided, this can often be arranged if adequate advance notice is given. If all of the above appears rather daunting, rest assured that our staff have the benefit of many years of experience in arranging the Hauliers Goods in Transit Insurance and can guide you through this process to ensure that the right cover is arranged to protect your business.

Marine Cargo Insurance

Marine Cargo Insurance provides protection against all risks of physical loss or damage to freight from any external cause during shipping, whether by land, sea or air, Subject to certain exclusions, and pay claims regardless of which carrier is ultimately responsible for the loss or damage.

Who can insure marine cargo?

In simple terms a person who has an insurable interest in something when loss or damage to it would cause that person to suffer a financial loss or certain other kinds of losses?

Policies normally considered
Annual Contract - Monthly Declarations

Declarations of shipments/movements, are made on a monthly basis, or as otherwise agreed. Once arranged, you are guaranteed protection on the agreed basis for all shipments falling within the policy's provisions, subject to full shipping details of each despatch having been included on the relevant monthly declaration. The premium is debited monthly, or as otherwise agreed.

Annual Contract - Turnover Basis

Calculated against your estimation of the total value of the goods to be shipped, including uplift, during the agreed period, normally 12 months. This is subject to an agreed minimum premium payable up front and adjustable annually, or as agreed. Monthly declarations are not required.

Facultative Policy "one off" cover

This policy is available for the occasional single shipment and is often used for letter of credit requirements. An insurance certificate is issued together with the applicable additional insurance clauses.

Stock throughput

Combined stock and transit risks

Commercial Property Insurance

All Risks (Assets)

This covers damage to material property belonging to the business insured caused by one of the following optional Specified Perils and Accidental Damage.

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Aircraft
  • Riot, Civil Commotion
  • Malicious Dammage
  • Earthquake and Subterranean Fire
  • Storm
  • Flood
  • Escape of Water
  • Impact by own and third party vehicles or Animals
  • Subsidence or Ground Heave of any part of the site on which the premises stand and Landslip
  • Cover can be extended to cover Terrorism Risks

Business Interruption

Insurance cover to protect business income and/or increased cost of working following a material damage loss. Cover can be extended to cover book debts, which covers the cost of tracing and establishing how much your customers owe you and the amount of any unpaid debts following an insured loss.

Legal Liabilities

Employers Liability

If you have Employees, whether full time, part time, or casual, you are required by law to have Employers Liability cover

Public Liability

Public Liability insurance covers your legal liability to pay damages to third parties for death, bodily injury or damage to their property that occurs as a result of your business activities.